IA/0103 - EARTHEN ARCHITECTURE. BUILDING CULTURES AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Academic Year 2022/2023
Free text for the University
MARIA MADDALENA ACHENZA (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[80/72] ARCHITECTURE||[72/30 - Ord. 2017] ARCHITETTURA E SOSTENIBILITA'||4||40|
Aim of the course is to provide students:
- the ability to recognize and use local natural materials (earth, wood, stone, hemp, loofah, straw, cane, etc)
- the ability to recognize and use earth as a building material, formulate a correct mix for the production of elements for masonry, mortars and earthen plasters and develop capabilities for their installation, including the identification of the most frequent problems and relative solutions.
- Gain a thorough understanding of traditional building techniques and their contemporary innovations that use earth as a basic building material.
Basic knowledge of building design
1. EARTH FOR BUILDING
Introduction: what is it? Where is it? How does it look like?
Earth for construction. How to recognize it?
Earth building techniques
EARTHEN ARCHITECTURE IN SARDINIA
Characteristics of the historical buildings
Adaptation and reuse
Integration of new installations
Rules and good practices for building recovery
3. NEW USES OF EARTH FOR BUILDING
The new uses of the earth as a building material
Contemporary earthen residential and public construction.
Architecture for Developing Countries
The course offers an in-depth study of the themes linked to the use of earth as a building material.
The content aims to give knowledge to:
- Recognize earth as a building material (earth as a grain material, test for the recognition of adapted soils for building, earth and fiber, Carazas test);
- Know traditional earthen architecture in the world and particularly in Sardinia
- Know the most diffused building techniques that use earth as main material
- Know the different types of earth plasters and finishes (choice of the earth, mix design, tools, fibers, types of plaster, special finishes).
- Know the use of the material for contemporary construction
Verification of learning
The verification of the acquired knowledge of the content of the course will be after an oral exam. The student will demonstrate to have a basic knowledge of the material earth, of related building techniques, of the characteristics of earthen buildings, through a simple individual in depth study. The evaluation will be expressed through a grade expressed in /30 (min 18/30).
The active participation of the students to the course will be taken into consideration.
Houben, H. Guillaud, Traitè de construction en terre, ed. Parethese
Anger R., Fontaine L., Batir en Terre, ed Belin
Sanna A., Atzeni C., Manuale del recupero dei centri storici della Sardegna, Architetture in terra cruda, ed DEI
Sanna U., Achenza M., Manuale del recupero dei centri storici della Sardegna, Manuale tematico dellarchitetture in terra, ed DEI
Dethier J., Habiter la Terre, Ed. Flammarion, Paris 2019
Carazas Aedo Wilfredo, Test Carazas_Manual pedagogico, Ed. Aterre, Jalisco (Mexico) 2017
The slides of the lessons will be regularly made available for the students