IN/0123 - ENERGETICS
Academic Year 2021/2022
Free text for the University
ANDREA FRATTOLILLO (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[70/84] ENERGETIC ENGINEERING||[84/00 - Ord. 2018] PERCORSO COMUNE||6||60|
- Knowledge and understanding: The course aims to provide students with the knowledge of the main systems aimed at the simultaneous production of thermal/cooling and electrical energy. In particular, lessons will be provided aimed at understanding the functioning of the aforementioned tri-cogeneration systems and the related economic incentives, as well as the assumptions at an energy, economic and environmental level to deem the choice feasible. This objective will also be achieved through the study and critical evaluation of sector standards, as well as the consultation of cutting-edge studies and research in the field under study.
- Ability to apply knowledge and understanding: The course will lead students to apply the knowledge acquired in the drafting of a feasibility study for a characteristic user in the industrial or civil sector, in which they will try to apply all the cases dealt with in the course. It will allowe them to know how to set up a correct intervention design and to acquire the basic skills for future technical-plant engineering activities.
- Autonomy of judgment: Students will acquire the ability to interpret the data relating to the main energy consumption parameters of large civil or industrial users, being able to formulate hypotheses of intervention specifically in the cogeneration field, demonstrating an adequate autonomy with respect to the generic skills of one's future professional field.
- Communication skills: The student will acquire the ability to communicate and express problems concerning the subject of the course. He will be able to hold conversations on issues relating to the assessment of energy consumption of large civil and industrial users, as well as on the main technical and economic characteristics of the cogeneration systems applicable.
- Learning skills: Students will acquire a full understanding of the key steps for drafting a correct technical, economic and environmental feasibility study, not only focused on the specific topics of the course. This will allow them to develop those learning skills necessary to undertake subsequent studies with a high degree of autonomy, as well as for the continuous updating of their knowledge.
Basic knowledge of Applied Thermodynamic, regarding energy production systems through direct and/or inverse cycles
Presentation and initial reminders (2 hours L)
- Presentation of the course and examination procedures. The energetics fundamentals: global health, the correlations between energy and GDP, the current energy needs and its likely evolution, the production of CO2 (IEA data, OECD and MiSE).
- Elements of Thermodynamics: I and II law for open systems.
- Reminders on RES: classification and market prospects
The High Efficiency Cogeneration systems (HEC) (10 hours L)
- The combined production of electricity and heat by internal combustion engines, Stirling engines, gas turbines, steam turbines and fuel cells.
The inverse and absorption cycles (10 hours L)
- Inverse heat pump and refrigeration cycles. The reverse Carnot machine.
- Heat pumps for direct and indirect absorption.
- Gas heat pumps
- The use of thermal energy from "heat recoveries" or RES.
The parameters for the energy assessment, environmental and economic investment (10 hours L).
- The calculation of cash flows and the economic return of an investment
- The tariff structure of the supply of natural gas
- The tariff structure of the electricity supply
- The national system of incentives for non-traditional systems: the simplified purchase and resale arrangements, the net metering, the all-inclusive tariff, the heating & cooling support scheme, the Energy Efficiency Certificates (EEC), RECS (Renewable Energy Certificate System), tax relief and biomethane, the D1 tariff.
Feasibility study for cogeneration plants (14 hours L+ 10 hours E)
- Setting up a feasibility study: energy user characterization, choice of technologies, comparison with traditional production systems.
- Current status and potential development of district heating
Teaching will be delivered mainly with frontal lessons, integrated and "augmented" with online strategies, in order to guarantee its use in an innovative and inclusive way. It includes frontal lessons for about 45 hours, and classroom exercises for about 15 hours on specific case studies. Both the lessons and the exercises will require the use of slides showing examples and graphs, the use of the blackboard to integrate and deepen the specific topics, the possible participation in seminars and conferences targeted on the topic of energy and the environment.
To meet specific educational needs related to the current epidemiological situation, all lessons and exercises could be carried out, also for the current a.a. in live streaming with the same lessons recorded and available online. The entire course is cared personally by the teacher. All supplementary teaching materials needed for the exam is made available online to all students in a special cloud.
Verification of learning
Execution of an exercise on the topics covered during the lessons with particular reference to feasibility studies on cogeneration systems.
Oral examination aimed at ascertaining the knowledge of the arguments the lesson durations and their application in practical cases of energy engineering. The oral test consists of 3-4 questions. In case of positive outcome, the vote of the oral test will be included between: 18 and 22 for elementary and ineffective exposure understanding; 23 and 27 for a good understanding and a clear exposition; over 27 for a full and brilliant exposition and effective understanding.
“Applicazioni di Energetica”, M. Dentice d’Accadia, M. Sasso, S. Sibilio, R. Vanoli - Liguori Editore
“Termodinamica per ingegneri - Applicazioni”, R. Mastrullo, P. Mazzei, R, Vanoli – Liguori Editore
“Celle a combustibile. Tecnologia e possibilità applicative”, M. Noro – La Feltrinelli Editore
Notes by the teacher
All tables, slideshows and diagrams used to support lessons will be shared in a special cloud.
The student has all the material shown in class in the form of slides. It is also made available to the student materials and tools for the conduct of the exercise of such calculation and simulation software and educational materials shown and screened during exercise