IA/0143 - RELIABILITY OF ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS
Academic Year 2022/2023
Free text for the University
GIOVANNA MURA (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[70/83] ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING||[83/00 - Ord. 2018] PERCORSO COMUNE||5||50|
Knowledge and understanding in
• Fundamentals and methods for the Design for Reliability
Application of knowledge and understanding in
• Designing Accelerated Life Tests
• Designing statistical Reliability analysis of complex systems (FMEA)
• Reading and understanding datasheets of commercial optoelectronic light emitters
Ability to identify and use data to formulate responses to
• Evaluation of lifetimes form life test data of simple devices
• Reading the experimental data in terms of measuring physical and technological parameters
• Ability to cooperate with peers in solving given problems, proposed to groups of students, and to report to the teacher
• Ability to illustrate and discuss the results of own studies
• Ability to access complementary sources for studying the theory and solve assigned problems.
• Practice with the bibliographic search.
The fundamental requirements belong to the contents of the courses of Semiconductor Physics and Electron Devices given at the University of Cagliari, bachelor degree in Ingegneria Elettrica, Elettronica ed Informatica.
• The practical skill with computational programs and graphical outputs of numerical data
• The familiarity with datasheets slide editors and word processors
50 hours (5 hours per week): 35 hours are reserved for lessons, 15 hours are for exercises, tests and seminars
1) Reliability and Quality. Design for Reliability/Risk managent (8h)
2) Statistical basis and Parametric probability distributions in reliability (10h)
3) Acceleration factors and accelerated life testing (10h)
4) Systems reliability (Part stress and Part Count Analysis) (10h)
5) RBD (Reliability Block Diagram), FTA (Fault Tree Analysis), FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis). Reliability Assurance (10h)
6) Counterfeit electronics
10 weekly sub-modules of 5 hours each.
(70% hours are lessons, 30% hours are reserved for exercises, tests and seminars)
Evaluation by individual tests
In addition, exercises are organized for groups of students, prompting them to discuss and cooperate.
Laboratory activity e.g on accelerated lifetest
Verification of learning
1) individual and group tests evaluation + report
in order to verify
1) Knowledge and understanding of terminology, principles and models
2) Ability in determining when to use appropriate reliability procedures
3) Communication skills and the acquired learning- by- doing capability
Final score for this module: score obtained with the individual tests + score (1-2 points) obtained with the practical activity and report.
written test :10 questions (score: 0-3 / each question) + practical experiment and report
Final score for this module: score obtained with the individual test + score (1-2 points) obtained with the practical activity and report.
P. Citti Fondamenti di Affidabilità
E. Pollino L'affidabilità dei componenti elettronici a semiconduttore.
Design for Reliability, First Edition. Edited by Dev Raheja, Louis J. Gullo. © 2012 John Wiley & Sons
Also, the search for other texts is encouraged.
Slides of seminars and conferences held at international symposia on the main topics of the course.