IA/0146/EN - MIXED-SIGNAL CIRCUITS AND SYSTEMS
Academic Year 2019/2020
Free text for the University
MASSIMO BARBARO (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[70/83] ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING||[83/00 - Ord. 2018] PERCORSO COMUNE||6||60|
Acquiring knowledge and understanding: understand the basic mechanisms of mixed-signal (analog and digital, integrated and discrete) circuits.
Applying knowledge and understanding: develop the ability to analyze a mixed-signal system made up of several analog and digital modules (on the same chip or board) and determine its behavior and optimize its performances.
Making informed judgement and choices: develop the ability to properly use CAD/EDA tools and decide a design approach for systems-on-chip or system-on-board
Communicating knowledge and understanding: getting the technical language of design.
Capacities to continue learning: ability to read a datasheet and apply theory to development of new systems on chip or systems on board.
Basic knowledge of analog and digital electronic devices and circuits
Design of analog integrated circuits: design entry (Virtuoso Composer), simulation environment (ADE Analog Design Environment), HDL for analog circuits (Verilog-A), simulation (Spectre)
Design for manufaturing: Monte-Carlo and corner analyses
Front-end of Line (FEOL): layout design (Virtuoso), DRC and LVS (Assura), post-layout simulation
RTL-to-silicon: design entry and digital simulation (NC-verilog), synthesis (Genus)
Mixed-Signal: analog-digital co-simulation
Back-end of Line (BEOL): Floorplan, Place&Route, Clock-tree generation, Tape-out (Innovus)
Design of Printed Circuit Board (PCB) with OrCAD-Allegro
Design example (sigma-delta ADC, digital interfaces)
Lectures (30h) and lab sessions (30h). Lectures are interactive and meant to stimulate the students to propose solutions and ideas.
Verification of learning
The assessment of the exam involves the development of a small project which, for the students following the lessons, will be partially developed during the hours of practice.
The student will have to demonstrate to be able to develop a module of a mixed-signal system through the conception of the block diagram, the development of the single blocks, their simulation and implementation on CAD.
The score of the exam is given by a mark expressed in thirtieths, determined for 80% by the evaluation of the project and for the remaining 20% by its presentation. The active participation of the students in the exercises will contribute to the evaluation of the project.
In the evaluation of the exam the determination of the final grade takes into account the following elements:
1. Ability to partition the problem into its components
2. Ability to develop the required analog and digital modules
3. Simplicity and clarity of the project
4. Use of CAD
The fulfillment of aspect 1 is a necessary condition for the achievement of an evaluation equal to 18. The votes above 18 will be awarded to the students whose tests satisfy all four aspects listed above.
Lectures slides and other material provided by the professor.