SM/0085 - FUNDAMENTALS OF WEB PROGRAMMING
Academic Year 2022/2023
Free text for the University
GIANMARCO CHERCHI (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[60/61] COMPUTER SCIENCE||[61/00 - Ord. 2016] PERCORSO COMUNE||6||60|
The course provides the student with the essential skills for creating, understanding and designing web applications. The course introduces step by step the leading technologies and problems in the development of internet applications, starting from the HTTP protocol, through server-side programming with data persistence, up to client-side programming, which are presented through the use of standard technologies, immediately expendable even in the workplace.
- The student will be able to apply theoretical knowledge related to architectural and technological solutions to create simple web applications, such as the one assigned for the final practical test, and to understand the structure of complex applications and solutions.
- The student will be able to independently evaluate which parts of a web application must be developed with a server-side technology and which with a client-side technology and evaluate the limitations imposed by the communication between client and server via HTTP.
- The tools and knowledge of the course will allow the student to independently study the various development technologies currently available on the web in order to be able to develop applications even with technologies other than those used during the course.
- The course is in Italian. It is possible to ask for an English version of the exam.
The course does not have specific prerequisites foreseen by the CDL, and is, therefore, open also to students who do not attend the Degree in Computer Science.
However, it is necessary to have previous knowledge of the basic concepts of imperative programming (Programmazione 1) and object-oriented (Programmazione 2, also in progress).
- The HTTP protocol
- The HTML language for the pages structure
- The CSS rules for the presentation of contents
- Session management
- Servlets and JSPs in Java
- Notes on safety problems
- Creation and query of a database (hints)
- Connection to a database via servlet
- Dynamic content creation
- Client-side programming
- Various insights
The course is divided into lessons and laboratory. During the lessons, the teacher presents the concepts and technologies to develop a web application, while during the laboratory, the students put into practice what was discussed in theory, helped by the teacher and the tutors.
Students become familiar with technologies through a series of programming exercises to create a simple web application, similar to the one required of the student as a final project.
Verification of learning
The exam is divided into a theoretical part and a practical part (final project). The details of the exam methods will be presented during the first lesson of the course.
Reference will be made to the W3C specifications and Java technologies' official documentation, freely available on the web.
The slides provided by the teacher and other resources provided during the course will be sufficient to prepare for the exam.
The teacher provides the slides, exercises and references to web pages to use to prepare for the exam.
According to the "Manifesto degli Studi per l'A.A. 2022/2023", lessons will be in person. The lessons can be integrated with multimedia materials and streaming.