SM/0155 - OPERATING SYSTEMS
Academic Year 2022/2023
Free text for the University
SALVATORE MARIO CARTA (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[60/61] COMPUTER SCIENCE||[61/00 - Ord. 2016] PERCORSO COMUNE||12||120|
The course aims to teach the student the fundamentals of Operating Systems, providing solid foundations for understanding the problems and strategies for the design and implementation of application programs, also by showing the evolution of technology and the abstract layers on which they are based.
The fundamental concepts of Computer Science as taught in the following courses: "Fundamentals of Computer Science", "Programming 1", "Computer Architectures", and "Algorithms and Data Structures".
1. Introduction to the Operatig systems
1a. Processors, HW-SW interface
1c. Main purposes of an operating system
4. CPU Scheduling
7. Main Memory
8. Virtual Memory
9. File system
10. I/O system
11. Virtual machines and containers
12. Sockets and network programming
1. Introduction to using the Linux operating system
1.a Installation, introduction to the command line, basic management of files and directories (theory and exercises)
1.b Advanced file and directory management, text editor (theory and tutorials)
1.c System configuration, system control by shell, Drives management (theory and exercises)
1.d Advanced commands, regular expressions (theory and exercises)
2. Bash Programming (theory and exercises)
3. Introduction to system programming in Linux environment
4. Processes and basic communication between them (Introduction to theory and practical examples in Linux)
5. Threads and concurrent programming (Introduction to theory and practical examples in Linux)
6. Interprocess communication (theoretical references and practical examples in Linux)
7. Network communication
Lectures and exercises in the classroom (48 hours) and assisted laboratory sessions (72 hours)
Slides and exercises will be put online.
Teaching will be delivered in-person. Lectures may be supplemented with audiovisual materials and streaming.
Verification of learning
Written and/or oral exam, with the possibility of partial exams and of projects assignment during the course.
Operating System Concepts - IX edit: Silbershatz-Galvin-Gagne. -Pearson.
Slides : https://elearning.unica.it/ Course "Sistemi Operativi"