40/190 - LABORATORY MEDICINE - CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGY
Academic Year 2018/2019
Free text for the University
LUIGI ATZORI (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[40/39] MEDICINE AND SURGERY||[39/00 - Ord. 2015] PERCORSO COMUNE||8||110|
• To know more important methodologies applied to clinical chemistry and more relevant clinical chemistry changes induced by more common pathologies
• To know how to prescribe and read clinical chemistry test with special attention to markers of. liver, kidney, tumour, blood cells, haemostasis, diabetes.
• To know basic techniques and guidelines for identifying most common pathogen microorganisms.
• To know how to prescribe and read most common clinical microbiology test and antibiogram.
It is better to know biochemistry and microbiology
Laboratory Medicine Program (Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Pathology)
• Structure and organization of the medical laboratory.
• Types of test and their purposes, biological samples (blood, urine, stool, saliva, synovial fluid, liquor, sperm liquid) and their preservation.
• Quality Control in Clinical Pathology. Normative requirements. Italian Society of Clinical Pathology and Online Documentation.
• Interpretation of laboratory tests. Reference intervals, sensitivity, specificity, interfering factors, abnormal values.
• Inflammatory Biomarkers: VES, PCR, Electrophoresis Serum Protein.
• Biomarkers of Liver and bile ducts.
• Biomarkers of pancreas and intestinal function.
• Biomarkers of the cardiovascular system.
• Diagnosis and Monitoring of Diabetes Mellitus.
• Biomarkers of Kidney.
• Urinalysis; other measurable parameters on urine sample (metals, abuse drugs, cathecholamine, etc.)
• Electrolyte analysis and acid-base balance (emogasanalysis).
• Biomarkers of neoplastic diseases.
• Biomarkers of erythropoiesis and anemia: hemochrome, blood smear, folic acid, Vit. B12.
• Biochemical tests for assessing iron metabolism (sideremia, transferrin, epcidine).
• Biomarkers emocoagulation and fibrinolysis
• Laboratory tests during Pregnancy.
• Laboratory tests in Geriatrics.
• Tests of hormones produced by thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal gonads.
• Tests for autoimmune diseases.
• Wester Blot, ELISA, RIA, IFA, PCR.
• Molecular tests.
• Biomarkers in "-omics" sciences.
Microbiologia e Virologia Clinica
• Evaluation of diagnostic utility of a laboratory test
• Principal of direct and indirect diagnosis
• Pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical phase in diagnostic microbiology
• Collection, transport and storage of samples to be microbiologically analysed
• Markers of infection by HAV, HBV, HCV, HIV
• Feature o most important microbiological and viral infections ( central nervous system, respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract, skin, systemic, maternal-fetal, perinatal, hospital-acquired infection)
Lectures, clinical case presentations
Verification of learning
The final vote of the course is obtained by averaging the results of the questions on the main topics of the course
• Antonozzi e Gulletta, Medicina di Laboratorio , Ed. Piccin, oppure Federici: ”Medicina di Laboratorio” Ed. Mcgraw-Hill
• Cevenini. Microbiologia Clinica. Piccin
• Mims et al. Microbiologia Clinica. EMSI
• Sherris - Microbiologia Medica (parte Microbiologia Clinica). EMSI
• Prof.Luigi Atzori, Dipart. Scienze Biomediche, via Porcell 4, 09124 Cagliari (tel.070675 -8390 oppure -4125)(firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Prof. Valeria Ruggiero, Dipart. Scienze Mediche, Policlinico Universitario – Monserrato (CA)
• Prof. Corrado Serra, Dipart. Scienze Mediche, Nuovo Asse Didattico Medicina - Monserrato (CA) (Tel. 070.675.4685)
Students can contact the teachers for appointment by e-mail any time.
Date of exams: see web page of the medical faculty