MC/0309 - INTERNAL MEDICINE II - SECOND PART
Academic Year 2019/2020
Free text for the University
FRANCESCO MARONGIU (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[40/39] MEDICINE AND SURGERY||[39/00 - Ord. 2013] PERCORSO COMUNE||8||82|
Lessons of Internal Medicine II provides the presentation of complex clinical cases so to introduce and discuss issues concerning various pathological conditions. The clinical cases presented may be different from time to time. This because the aim is to introduce students to the more recent clinical cases, i.e. those who are hospitalized in the Departments of Internal Medicine of the Polyclinic. The lessons are interactive, i.e. students are stimulated to discuss several critical points of a clinical case.
Students should have knowledge of Patology, Pharmacology and Clinical specialized courses since Internal Medicine II represents an interaction among these different topics.
• Deep Vein Thrombosis (pathogenesis and treatment with heparins, AVK and new anticoagulants) (case report)
• Venous thrombosis in unusual sites
• Choice and duration of anticoagulants (case reports using multiple choice)
• Atrial Fibrillaion and the cardioembolic risk (AVK and new anticoagulants)
• Estrogen-progesterone and the thrombotic risk
• Diabetes and its treatment
• Pulmonary ipertension (case report)
• Anti-thrombotic prophylaxis in Internal medicine
• Evidence Based Medicine (EBM)
• Aims of EBM
• The fields of EBM
• The Cochrane Collaboration
• What is a clinical trial ?
• Clinical trials: phase 1, 2 and 3
• Design of a phase 3 study
• Ethical principles and EBM
• Patients characteristics in the clinical trials
• Role of the pharmaceutical industry in the clinical trials.
• Intention to treat or per protocol ?
• What about solid and surrogate outcomes ?
• How to compute the sample size in planning a clinical trial (type I and type II error)
• How to show results of a clinical study (Relative Risk, Odds Ratio and Absolute Risk Reduction with Confidence Intervals)
• How to compute Confidence Intervals ? What do they mean ?
• Non inferiority clinical studies
• Phase 4 studies (post-marketing studies)
• Case-control studies
• Cohort studies
• Cross-sectional studies
• Case report and case series
• Meta-analysis (pros and cons)
• Systematic Reviewes
• The hierarchy of evidence
• Le categorie dell’evidenza usate nelle linee guida
• Strength of recommendations
• N=1 trials
• Crossover trials
• Interobserver agreement (K test)
• The screening
Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine
The students will be meet by email request