LF/0262 - HISTORY EDUCATION
Academic Year 2021/2022
Free text for the University
VALERIA DEPLANO (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[20/44] HISTORY AND SOCIETY||[44/00 - Ord. 2016] PERCORSO COMUNE||6||30|
1. Knowledge and understanding.
The course aims to provide didactic-disciplinary knowledge concerning both the main methodological and interpretative nodes of history, and the effective didactic transposition of the discipline in middle and high school courses, with a stress on the contemporary period.
2. Applied knowledge and understanding.
At the end of the course the students will have:
- Increased and strengthened their basic knowledge on the role, purpose, and methodologies of history
- Developed skills on “making history” and their usefulness in didactic planning
- Developed the ability to prepare and use different teaching tools
- Developed the ability to organize and implement didactic proposals relating to the historical discipline, suited to the needs of the different types of students and contexts in which they will work as teachers
3. Making judgements
At the end of the course students will be able to:
- reason independently on the processes and events of the past, and to formulate their own evaluation on the basis of the interpretation of historical information
- evaluate the texts and teaching proposals with which they will have to deal in the context of teaching
- self-assess their skills
4. Communication skills
Students will have the ability to
- orally present the contents relating to the subjects taught, and to establish links with related disciplines
- integrate frontal teaching with methodologies that facilitate the communication of history
5. Learning skills
At the end of the course, students will have learned the link between historical methodology and didactic; and they will be able to identify new sources (bibliographic, documentary, iconographic etc.) for the purpose of continuous updating within the discipline.
A basic understanding of XIX- XX Century history is suggested to successfully attend the classes.
The course is divided into three parts:
1) (Contemporary) History: approaches, sources, methods. The module will be aimed at thinking about what history is, what approaches exist, what sources it uses, and what it means to "think historically"
2) The didactic of history. The module will address general issues and problems related to the teaching of history
3) Teaching history. The module will focus, also through practical activities, on some proposals for teaching history: laboratories, history in libraries and archives, history from below, digital resources
The course will include lectures with the support of audiovisual materials, integrated with group work or labs. The debate with the teacher and colleagues is an integral part of the teaching method and aims to promote the ability to apply the skills and knowledge acquired to the student. To meet specific teaching needs related to the epidemiological situation, classes could be instreaming.
Verification of learning
Students will take an oral exam on the topics covered in class.
The score of the exam is given by a mark out of thirty. To pass the exam students must have enough knowledge about the topics, and they must be able to critically talk about them. The ability to propose links between the various themes, to use the appropriate terminology, as well as a good grasp of the language, in general, will contribute to the evaluation of the exam.
Students must study:
- Part 1: Vittorio Vidotto, Guida allo studio della storia contemporanea, Editori. Laterza, Roma Bari, 2011 (only the methodological parts indicated by the professor)
- Part 2: Walter Panciera, Andrea Zannini, Didattica della storia. Manuale per la formazione degli insegnanti, 3. ed. aggiornata, Firenze-Milano, Le Monnier Università-Mondadori Education, 2013
- Part 3: a book chsen between
- F. Monducci, (a cura di), Insegnare storia. Il laboratorio storico e altre pratiche attive, UTET, Torino 2018
- V. Colombi, C. Greppi, E. Manera, G. Olmoti, R. Roda, I linguaggi della contemporaneità: una didattica digitale per la storia, Bologna, il Mulino, 2018
Any additional materials will be made available on prof. Deplano's webpage. On the same webpage students will find prof. Deplano's office hours