20/44/130 - HISTORY OF CONTEMPORARY WORLD
Academic Year 2021/2022
Free text for the University
VALERIA DEPLANO (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[20/44] HISTORY AND SOCIETY||[44/00 - Ord. 2016] PERCORSO COMUNE||6||30|
1. Knowledge and understanding:
The course aims to provide students with a thorough knowledge of the history of the XIX and XX Centuries, adopting a global perspective.
2. Applied knowledge and understanding:
At the end of the course, students will be able to read critically a historical text and to make use of the specific language of history. Yhey will be able to set up a historical research work, identifying possible thematic areas to be subjected to critical investigation and documenting what has been produced in this regard from previous literature
3. Making judgements:
Students will reason about the historical processes, to place them in their historical perspective, and to evaluate them based on their historical competencies. They will be able to individuate and collect more information to build up a greater awareness.
4 Communication skills:
Students will acquire the ability to orally present topics related to the subject taught, and to establish links with related disciplines and subjects. They will be able to communicate and discuss problems and solutions, choosing the right form of communication for each type of interlocutor.
5. Learning skills:
Students will be able to understand the historical evolution of political, economic and cultural processes; and to critically analyze contemporary Europe based on the knowledge acquired during the semester. They will be able to find out sources in Italian or other languages, to acquire new competencies
In order to successfully attend the course, a general understanding of contemporary history from 1815 to the present day is required
From a perspective of “global history”, the course focuses on the history of imperialism, as a process that shaped the world since 1830 to the Two World Wars; and on the history of decolonization. After analysing the two processes from an chronological perspective, the course will focus on the methodologies and practices of research, analyzing literary and audio-visual sources and historiographic essays that allow to look at the colonization and decolonization processes analyzed in the first part from other perspectives.
The course includes lectures and debates on specific topics based on the sources provided by the teacher. To meet specific teaching needs related to epidemiological situation, classes could be in streaming
Verification of learning
Students will take an oral exam on the contents of the classes and of the books; they are also required to send the teacher (a week before the exam) an essay on the book chosen from the list.
The score of the exam is given by a mark out of thirty. To pass the exam students must have enough knowledge about the topics, and they must be able to critically talk about them. The ability to propose links between the various themes, to use the appropriate terminology, as well as a good grasp of the language in general will contribute to the evaluation of the exam
Students are required to study:
- Raymond Betts, L'alba illusoria. L'imperialismo europeo nell'Ottocento, Il Mulino, 2008
- Dane Kennedy, Storia della decolonizzazione, Il Mulino, Bologna, 2016
- Students are also required to read and write an essay of 4000 words about a book chosen from this list:
- Paolo Borruso, 1937 Debre Libanos, Laterza 2020
- Andrea Brazzoduro, Soldati senza causa, Laterza 2011
- Amilcar Cabral, Per una rivoluzione africana. Il ruolo della cultura nella lotta per l'indipendenza, Ombre corte, 2019
- Valeria Deplano, La madrepatria è una terra straniera. Le Monnier 2017
- Pinella Di Gregorio, Oro nero d'Oriente. Arabi, petrolio e imperi tra le due guerre mondiali, Donzelli 2006
- Frantz Fanon, I dannati della terra, Einaudi 2007
- Nicola Labanca, Una guerra per l’impero. Memorie dalla guerra d’Etiopia (1935-36)
- Dietmar Rothermund, Delhi, 15 agosto 1947: la fine del colonialismo, Il Mulino, 2000
- Edward Said, Cultura e imperialismo, Bollati Borlinghieri
- Giulietta Stefani, Colonia per maschi, Ombre Corte, 2007-
- Simona Troilo, Pietre d’oltremare. Scavare, conservare, immaginare l'Impero (1899-1940), Laterza 2021
NON-ATTENDING STUDENTS MUST CONTACT PROF. DEPLANO BEFORE PREPARING FOR THE EXAM
Check periodically prof.Deplano's webpage.
On the same webpage students will find the office hours.